top of page

Be Sure Your Child Goes to College with Everything in Place to Give Both of You Peace of Mind

The time has come and your child is off to college. We know it can be hard to let go and give them that newly found freedom after spending many years caring for your son or daughter. Did you know that once your child turns 18, you will no longer be able to act on their behalf in financial transactions or health care decisions?

This means that you no longer have the right to get medical information. You also cannot access their bank accounts or receive any information from the college about their academic records. Luckily, with a few important documents, your child can head off to college with personal responsibility and independence while knowing you have their back if need be. Fitzwater Law's “College-Bound Student Packet” includes all you and your child will need:

  • Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare

  • HIPAA Release

  • Durable Power of Attorney for Finances

  • Emergency ID card

  • FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) Waiver

For more information contact Attorney Emily Hogan at 503.786.8191 or To learn more about Emily, check out her bio.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
bottom of page